What does it do?
Our CNC router employs a two or three dimensional computer model of an object and very precisely mills, cuts, or shapes the object out of any soft material. This low-priced high-quality desktop CNC router cuts intricate and accurate pieces. The machine allows an individual to shape objects that would otherwise be too tedious, difficult, or impossible to complete by hand. Our router can cut wood, plastic, foam, and many other soft materials. It is not intended to cut metals, however we learned recently that it can easily carve basic red bricks. We regularly experiment with new materials to increase the potential applications of our machine. For an updated list of materials we have tested, visit the “Tools and Materials” page on our website as well as the “Updates” section on our Kickstarter page. The frame and mechanical components of our CNC router are custom designed from the ground up to minimize the cost of the machine without incurring any unacceptable loss of performance. We are trying to provide something that people have been able to purchase for a couple of years, but at a fraction of the price.
The Router’s Specs:
- Custom closed loop controller
- 9.2in x 8.7in x 1.9in workspace (234mm x 221mm x 48mm) (cutting/working area)
- 12in x 14in x 14in machine size (dimensions of the entire machine)
- .00005in (.001mm) minimum step size (the minimum amount the machine can be instructed to move)
- .1mm – .5mm repeatability depending on feed rate and material (the ability to return to the same spot after a process; accuracy)
- 5in/min (127mm/min) maximum feed rate (the rate it can move in any one direction). For those unfamiliar with feed rates, compared to more expensive CNC setups, this is very slow.
Learn more about what our CNC Router can cut by visiting our “Tools and Materials” page.
- Kits are currently available through our “Kickstarter Campaign for $195″ + Shipping.
- The kit contains EVERYTHING you need to put together your own desktop CNC router except the dremel. You will receive a complete set of laser-cut parts to construct the frame and moving parts of the router, all the necessary metal hardware, an Arduino compatible microcontroller, three continuous rotation servos and three magnetic encoder boards, and all of the requisite bolts and wires.
- To assemble your kit you will need a soldering iron (previous soldering experience is not necessary) and some glue. You should be able to put your kit together in just a few hours.
- Before you purchase a kit, it is important to understand that you are purchasing a CNC router which was designed to minimize cost. To keep costs low we use standard threaded rods instead of lead screws which results in backlash (slop between the nut and threaded rod). This can be largely compensated for in the software. The movements of the machine are slow because the forces on the frame have to be kept small to keep accuracy high.
- Software runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Power supply is included.
- We will release an assembling video for contributors to follow.
- A forum will be established for Makesmith CNC Router owners to collaborate and serve as a troubleshooting space.
To learn more about how the Software works visit the “Software” page.
We’re in the midst of a third industrial revolution, this one – driven by computer aided design (CAD) and manufacturing (CAM). With Makesmith CNC – anyone interested can participate in this revolution. We are putting the finishing touches on the world’s most affordable, high-quality Desktop CNC Router kit. By offering a low cost and an easy to assemble kit, we aim to enable people who have never before had access to these types of machines to obtain one.
Our Vision: Easy access to Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing.
Our Mission: Develop affordable Desktop CNC Routers.
Click here to: Contact Us